Summary: Let’s figure out how to format your WD Passport on macOS & Windows. In this blog post, we will walk you through the formatting process and share instructions to format an external drive on macOS & Windows.
But before you proceed, understand that formatting carries a risk of hard drive corruption and data loss. So, in case, if you had accidentally lost your data due to drive formatting or corruption, we also recommend a data recovery software that can rescue data from your HDD. Take a free trial to evaluate the software now.
- Wd My Passport For Mac 1tb Manual
- Western Digital Passport For Mac
- Wd My Passport Portable Hard Drive Mac
Professional Photographers and videographers have their hands laid upon various digital devices. Usually, their arsenal includes a cutting-edge Windows 10 desktop, the latest and the magnificent MacBook Pro, DSLR & SD-Cards of-course and the trusted & loved external drives such as the WD My Passport. The role of the WD My Passport drive is crucial since the individual will leverage the portable media to safely store their collection of pictures, videos, audio, and docs. But despite the best of the best device specifications; there remains one small glitch to rectify.
WD 1 TB My Passport Portable Hard Drive with Password Protection and Auto Backup Software - Black - Works with PC, Xbox and PS4 4.7 out of 5 stars 15,277. Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1 TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD – Silver USB 3.0 for PC Laptop and Mac, 1 Year Mylio Create, 2 Months Adobe CC Photography (STHN1000401). The My Passport for Mac drive’s built-in 256-bit AES hardware encryption with WD Security™ software helps keep your content private and safe. Just activate password protection and set your own personalized password. Do More With WD Discovery.
We know, Macs and Windows have their native file systems such as the new APFS or HFS and the NTFS. A WD My Passport formatted with Mac file system will be a dud on the Windows and vice-versa. Thankfully, MS-DOS FAT32 and ex-FAT formats have survived to date, and these are the file system to make your WD My Passport work with a Mac and a Windows PC simultaneously. In the next 5 minutes read, you will master yourself in formatting a WD My Passport safely and in a manner best suited for sharing your digital files between a macOS and Windows OS.
To format a Western Digital My Passport external hard drive in ex-FAT or FAT32 format, you can bank on built-in applications of Mac & PC. However, while doing this, there are things you have to keep in mind and follow the correct steps. Here you will get to know about the process to format your “My passport” portable drive in FAT32 and ex-FAT file system in both Windows and Mac platforms.
In Windows Platform:
1. Connect your Western Digital My Passport hard drive to your Windows PC through the USB cable. Wait till the Windows detects the external hard drive and configure it as an expansion drive automatically.
2. Now, click the Start button and select ‘This PC’. A new Windows Explorer window opens, on the left side of the screen; you will see a list of installed drives and their drive letters.
3. Locate the icon assigned to Western Digital My Passport drive and Right-click the connected drive icon and click ‘Format’ in the pop-up menu.
4. Select the ‘File System’ from the drop-down list, which is available in the format expansion and choose either ‘ex-FAT’ or ‘FAT32’.
5. Enter a relevant name in the ‘Volume Label’ field. This name will represent your drive when you connect it with Windows Explorer or Mac and will be mentioned above the drive letter for the My Passport drive. Therefore, enter a descriptive name.
6. Now, again select a ‘Quick Format’ option, then click ‘Start’ option, wait for a few minutes to get your drive reformatted with the FAT32 file system, so that you can use it. After successful formatting, you can directly save or move files to it like any other external hard drive.
In macOS / OS X Platform
- Connect your Western Digital My Passport drive to Mac computer, and let the OS detect and mount the drive for use. Now, a new hard drive icon will appear on the desktop.
- On macOS Dock, select Finder. When the Finder window opens, on the menu bar, select ‘Go’ and then ‘Utilities.’ After that, you will be able to see /Applications/Utilities folder in Finder. From the Utilities folder window, select ‘Disk Utility’ application.
- When the Disk Utility opens, choose the Western Digital hard drive icon from the sidebar.
- Click ‘Erase’ on the Disk Utility file menu. Now, the Erase dialogue window appears, here select the ‘Volume Format’ drop-down list and choose ‘MS-DOS (FAT)’ or ex-FAT File System.’ Note: ex-FAT is a better choice for formatting WD My Passport on Mac.
- Now, click the ‘Erase,’ button and wait a few minutes and let the macOS erase data on the drive and reformat it by FAT32 or ex-FAT format.
- Once formatting is done, you can use the drive in macOS or OS X as a regular hard drive.
Pdf to word mac free. Window’s Disk Management and Mac’s Disk Utility applications are secure platforms to erase your WD My Passport easily. You don’t require any third-party software to format your WD My Passport with FAT or ex-FAT.
Caution: Avoid Formatting your WD My Passport without Backup
We can’t rule out the possibilities of human errors resulting in the accidental formatting of the WD My Passport external drive. A silly man-made mistake will permanently remove all of the contained pictures, videos, audio files, and docs instantly from the WD My Passport. Hence, fasten your seat-belts and backup your WD My Passport before erasing. If you have already joined the data loss club unwillingly, then try running D-I-Y applications to recover data from Mac and Windows.
Tips for Effective Formatting
- Format your Western Digital My Passport external hard drive to FAT32 or ex-FAT format so to transfer the data between a Mac and Windows system conveniently.
- There are specific third-party systems, like Digital Camcorders, and Sony PlayStation 3, which need the drives to be formatted in either FAT32 or ex-FAT format to perform read from and write operation. Check it before selecting a file format.
- Due to some limitations FAT32 format is not useful for every type of user, and also affects both Mac’s and PC’s performances. Therefore, it is better to choose ex-FAT instead.
- Ex-FAT supports maximum volume size up to 128 PiB, and its supported maximum file size is 128 PiB.
- Like FAT32, ex-FAT is not a very commonly used file system, due to which its support may vary among third-party devices.
- The corruption chances of the external drive increases, if it is used on both Mac and PC systems regularly. Therefore, it is better to take backup of your important photos and videos before sharing them between both the computers.
In this WD My Passport Ultra Review, all the things about this drive are discussed honestly.
Western Digital My Passport Ultra Portable Drive is one of the popular external hard drives among the consumers who know the importance of data, and it’s backup.
Not the Number One but still WD My Passport Ultra is a high-profile name in hard drives list and one of the smart portable model of its family.
WD(Western Digital) My Passport Ultra Review 1TB & 2TB
The new Western Digital My Passport has also earned the title of Editor’s choice in our list of Top Ten best external hard drives. Western Digital My Passport Ultra also gives the storage capacity up to 3Tb, but this is not the only cool thing about WD. We can also say it wd SmartWare review due to its popularity
It is on the list of best sellers due to the versatility, affordable price, performing excellently in the areas of security and backup software, and in numerous help and support channels. You can use WD My Passport Ultra for MAC and PC both, but there are a certain set of actions you need to take to work with MAC because by default it comes prepared to work with Windows use.
WD My Passport is available in different colors including the black, white, blue and berry with an option for more than 20 mix-and-match colors available in WD Grip Packs. WD can easily fit in your pocket due to it’s compact size. Also, Backup Software is very easy to use, and the encryption of drive is totally lossless and has no effect on the performance of the drive. The speed gives almost equal to Seagate backup plus.
WD My Passport Ultra is the successor of the WD My Passport Edge and way faster than WD Edge. The WD Ultra offers a generous amount of storage capacity of more than 4TB Previously we had wd my passport ultra 2tb and wd my passport ultra 1tb which are still available in the market. SmartWare backup software is included with the drive. The design of the drive is very attractive, and when combined with selected colors it looks beautiful while holding in your hand. Didn’t Agreed with me? Try yourself.
In simple words, the WD Ultra is a little wonder in the world of external hard drives that is compact and offers a generous amount of storage capacity to carry your data or backup, and while ready to go with you on travel and giving an excellent performance the new. The editor of wd my passport ultra review recommends My Passport Ultra is an excellent buy.
Design and Features
You will be misconceived if you see the WP My Passport Ultra because it looks similar to My Passport Edge. The only difference that can be pointed out is the word “Edge” is replaced with “Ultra” on the casing. Either way the drive is very much similar to it’s predecessor. Being light weight and compact the drive feels sturdy a little bit.
The New My Passport Ultra has dimensions of 3.21 x 4.33 x 0.83 and weighs 0.5 lb.A Mirco-USB 3.0 port is available on the side of the drive to connect the USB cable that comes along with the drive purchase. This cable serves for the power and data tasks both the same time and gets relaxed still more to come. WD Ultra is also backward compatible means if you wanted to use it for USB 2.0 you can use it but to get the maximum performance of WD Ultra; the recommendation is to use it with USB 3.0.Few people might think what is wd smartware but this is it
As i stated above that the drive comes prepared to work with windows directly as the drive is preformatted NTFS for Windows. In Case you are MAC user and want to use the Ultra for you MAC then it’s a simple process to reformat the drive for your MACs(HFS+). The backup software called WD SmartWare is also included in the drive to take the necessary backups as WD Drive Utilities and WD Security.
The Drive also comes with 3 years limited warranty so in case you got an issue with the drive you replace it from the vendors. Adobe flash for mac 11. You can upgrade to the WD SmartWare Pro version at free of cost. This piece of software works with all external hard drives, also the drives offered by other vendors. If you are Ultra user, you can activate the WD SmartWare at two times on two different computers. This brief wd my passport ultra review is best to select a drive for you.
WD SmartWare is not required to install for the drive to work. But it is useful. The WD Drive Utilities contains the utilities that are responsible for the drive status, drive functionality and to reformat it. Your contents in the drive can be secured or password protected with the WD security.
The drive supports very strong encryption and the password selected once is always the key to access your data on the drive. MAC users also pay close attention because both of these WD Drive Utilities and WD Security are available for them as well as Windows users.
But WD SmartWare is not available for MAC users it is only available for the Windows users. Nothing to worry for the MAC users as there is always a solution for a problem. Then can install Time Machine with to take the Backup of their data. Though WD SmartWare performs the very handy job for this task but with Time Machine that’s not a big deal.
This software is very smart it automatically takes the backup of your important data to incase you are not a computer geek. The best thing about WD SmartWare is that now you can take backups to Dropbox Online service just you need a dropbox account. Then leave it on the software.
WD wd SmartWare review Ultra Performance
While using the 4TB version with USB 3.0 the Ultra performed 130MPs for writing that is close to the double of My Passport Edge, and it gave 118MBps speed for reading which is also the double of WD Edge. So this is the fasted score for any USB 3.0 external hard drive i have tested so far.I hope that in this brief wd my passport ultra review we explained well abou this little wonder now it’s your turn to take action.After getting your hard drive the very first thing to get the drive in use is to make partitions of it and see this guide how to make partitions for more information.
Wd My Passport For Mac 1tb Manual
Western Digital Passport For Mac
|Best External Hard Drive||SSD vs HDD||Best Thunderbolt Hard Drive|
Wd My Passport Portable Hard Drive Mac
- 4 Final Verdict